Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ad-Art


I have a semi-recommendation today for a Firefox plug-in called Add-Art.

Add-Art removes advertisements on web pages with impressive accuracy, and attempts to replace them with "curated art images". Sometimes the art appears, sometimes it doesn't. That's fine with me - I'd be just as happy if only the ads were removed (which I think is possible, since Add-Art piggybacks on another plugin called Ad Block Plus).

To see Add-Art in action - above we have two views of WWE.com: the first is from Safari, without Add-Art, and the second is from an Add-Art fortified Firefox. Note how Add-Art totally removes the obnoxious Rambo ad. (To appreciate how obnoxious it is, you need to realize that it's animated!)

So far, I've only seen one site (NBC.com) that gets destroyed due to collateral damage when Add-Art's ad-removal process gets a little too overzealous.

I'll keep the plug-in active until further notice.