Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Handball

This weekend, while watching the opening day matches of the Premier (soccer) League from England, I remarked to my wife - sarcastically - that the sport might be more interesting if the players used their hands instead of their feet - and were allowed to throw the ball into the goal.

So this morning I turn on the Olympics - and discover that my proposed sport exists already - and it's called Handball. It actually looks like a cross between Basketball and Soccer. (At first, I thought I was watching a basketball game with a really small ball, and a relaxed attitude towards "traveling".)

Judging from the Ali-G inspired names of its players, it's big in the Eastern Bloc. And according to Wikipedia, it's been around since the 1920's. (Who knew?)

This is the only Handball clip I found on YouTube that I didn't annoy me. It's boring - but you'll get the idea.