Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mob Art

We're kicking off a new label today - Things I Don't Understand - and today it's all about the Deck the Walls phenomenon known as "Mob Art".

One of the reasons I avoid "the mall" like a plague these days is that this type of thing pretty much sums up the clientele within. I mean, who in their right mind is buying this shit? "I'm a big fan of mafia movies, so I just gotta have a cheapo photoshop of all my beloved characters sitting in one room!" And the "frame store" selling this lowbrow crap has replaced the organ emporium as a staple in every mall in the country.

Let's examine what's going on here - DeNiro from Goodfellas (Analyze This would have been funnier) is seated with Don Corleone, Scarface, and Tony Soprano? Okay. And Scarface is holding a machine gun why? And nobody else at the table is concerned why? And are they in the Vatican or something?

I've seen variations of this theme that also includes the guys from Reservoir Dogs walking in the background. I guess it's not just about Italian stereotypes with that one - any old bad-asses will do.