Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cilla Black


I always look for any excuse to link to Beatles songs written for other artists. (Some of them were quite good and not always well known).

Here's one of my favorites: "Love of the Loved". Written by Paul McCartney, this one was probably better suited for Cilla Black (above) who performs it here on a 1963 edition of "Thank Your Lucky Stars".

The song is one of the earliest ever written by McCartney, and it was performed by the Beatles during their failed audition for Decca Records. I think the arrangement is much better on Cilla's version - although it was not a big hit for her (#35 on the UK charts).

Well, I liked it. See if you agree.

Note that the previous act (whom we don't see in the video) - is Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas performing "I'll Keep You Satisfied"... yet another song "given away" by The Beatles.