Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Vagrants


I have often wondered why there weren't more fat guitarists in rock'n'roll.

Here we see Leslie West during his '60s salad days with The Vagrants, and I wonder no more. In retrospect, it probably has something to do with an inability to keep the man-boob from drooping over the guitar body.

I had never heard of Leslie West until he started appearing on The Howard Stern Show way back in the '80s. Stern played him up like he was a huge talent, and Leslie pretty much agreed. It seemed to me like he was only famous for two Mountain songs - "Mississippi Queen" and "Theme for an Imaginary Western"; one of which I had never heard. In fact, I had never even heard of Mountain before either.

Well, here he is with The Vagrants - playing in a very cool Underground Garage style. I like what he's playing here a lot, so check it out.