Friday, December 11, 2009

The Strangeloves - "I Want Candy"


Heard this today on Underground Garage - the original version of "I Want Candy" by The Strangeloves (from the 1965-66 NBC TV series Hullabaloo).

The Strangeloves, by the way, were (according to press releases) Niles, Miles, and Giles Strange - independently wealthy sheepherders from Australia. In fact, they were Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer of New York, successful songwriters ("My Boyfriend's Back") having fun with a manufactured image.

Am not sure if the lineup in the clip is Feldman, Goldstein and Gottehrer - there were several lineups pretending to be Strange Brothers for live performamces - mostly consisting of studio musicians who looked the part.

Update - That's Sonny and Cher to the left of the stage. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the much more popular '80s remake.