Saturday, December 26, 2009

Top 30 Famous Deaths of 2009 (Part 1 of 6)


So many famous people died in 2009, I've bumped the countdown list from 20 to 30 this year. As with last year, we'll run down those who didn't happen to make my Top 30 on New Year's Day.

Ranked in order of how much I appreciated their work:

26. Gary Papa (above)
Eminently likable Philadelphia sportscaster. Watching him battle cancer over the last few years was both inspiring and sad.

27. Ellie Greenwich
Composer of many songs on the Golem's iPod - including "Be My Baby", "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "River Deep Mountain High" and others.

28. Vic Mizzy
Composer of many TV show themes - most notably for The Addams Family and Green Acres - two of the absolute best.

29. Edward Woodward
Star of one of my Dad's favorite TV shows - The Equalizer. I have fond memories of watching it with him.

30. James Whitmore
Dependable and likable actor - dubbed "King of the One-Man Show" for his stage portrayals of Harry Truman, Mark Twain and others.